Monday, April 21, 2014

My Family Traditions

A few weeks ago, one of my classmates did a wonderful presentation on Jewish Food and their holidays. After the presentation she asked my class to write a blog post about my religion and what food traditions we have. So I'm going to write about growing up Catholic.

Although my family weren't model Catholics, we still participated in very many traditions revolving around the church. One thing we did that I'll always remember was go to breakfast after Mass Sunday morning. Although not exactly a catholic thing, it was a time where my family would eat together and it happened to only happen after Mass. We would usually go to my favorite restaurant, Sero's, and I'd always get their chicken fingers, even though it was still "breakfast time". My family would complain and harass me about getting lunch for breakfast but I got it every time, despite their bereavement. And their harassing me also became tradition.

Another big tradition we had was eating dinners at Grandma's house. Typical Catholic families ate dinner as a family and a lot of the time, it was at their grandparents' house. It didn't matter what the occasion, dinner was always at their house. Throughout the school week we'd eat dinner at home due to time, but every Sunday and every holiday it was there. And everyone was invited. All the cousins, uncles, aunts, friends, friends of friends, new girlfriends or boyfriends, and everyone's pets. This went on for years as I was growing up. As I got older it didn't happen as much. My Aunts and Uncles started getting divorced, as did my parents, and everyone started drifting apart. It also didn't help that we were all starting to go to college as well. Nowadays we're lucky to even get a few relatives together. I miss the old days.

2 comments: